You know what’s funny?
I had been the one putting myself under pressure to post daily – you guys all seem to be perfectly fine with me posting whenever I feel like it. And once I took the pressure off of having to post daily, I realized that I wanted to post! So I still won’t be posting daily (that would take too much time from my international exploits and fun with the fam), but it turns out that I won’t be taking a real ‘break’ either – because it doesn’t feel like a chore and because I don’t have to do it. I’ll post when I feel like, but that might be more often than I thought.
Bwahahahaha, I’m such a waffle.
Anyway, I’m waiting at a train station (yay, yay, traveling!) and am in a bit of a humour at the moment so…
How to Write a Book in 7 Easy Steps:
1) Read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read, read. And read.
2) Decide to write a book. Sport the nerdy glasses and serious demeanor.
3) Commit to a story idea.
3) Fuel properly:
4) Write the first few chapters.
5) Realize that they’re crap. Realize that you have no writing ability. Press delete (or tear apart the pages if you’re going the old-fashioned route).
6) Make a mess in the kitchen/have an one-person awkward-dancing party/knit some socks/wear funny pants.
Now calm, return to step 4. Repeat steps 4 – 6 as necessary. This is usually at least as often as you are years old (in dog years).
7) Finally find something that’s fun to write and that you can stick to without even trying. Write, write, write. Revise, revise, revise, revise, revise.
Tada! You did it! I can’t guarantee that it will be a good book (you’ll have to read it decide for yourself), but at least it’s a book!
And yes, it’s addiction. Anyone want to start an Authors Anonymous? By the way, is it just me, or did anyone else think that AAA stood for Alcoholics Anonymous Association? Just throwing that out there…
What’s your favorite thing to write?
Do you ever realize that you’re the only person putting pressure on you?